Insurance Commissioner offers advice on Ida’s recovery

Blakland Matherne opens a door to what would have led to an indoor store, but is now outside after the roof was blown, in his hurricane-destroyed business in the aftermath of Hurricane Ida on Monday 6 September 2021, in Lockport, La (AP Photo / John Locher)

BATON ROUGE – From the Louisiana Department of Insurance:

As Louisiana families search for ways to return home and assess the damage after Hurricane Ida, Insurance Commissioner Jim Donelon advises residents to be vigilant while inspecting damage to their homes and homes. their businesses and offers advice to begin the recovery process.

Hurricane Ida hit the Louisiana coast on Sunday with winds of 150 mph as it made landfall in Port Fourchon and Galliano. The storm maintained its strength as it tore a path between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, causing extensive damage inland. A modeling company estimates insured losses at $ 18 billion. Another company estimates insured losses between $ 14 billion and $ 31 billion.

“Hurricane Ida was one of the most severe storms to ever hit our state. These massive damage estimates mean that many Louisiana families will have to file insurance claims, ”Commissioner Donelon said. “Please be careful when checking your homes and businesses for storm damage. Many injuries occur after the storm itself has passed. And know that the Louisiana Department of Insurance will be there for you as you begin the recovery process. “

The Louisiana Department of Insurance offers the following tips for preparing to file a claim:

  • Contact your insurance agent or company as soon as possible. Have your policy handy and find out if damage is covered under your policy terms and how to file a claim. The sooner you file a claim, the sooner you line up for an adjuster and, ultimately, a contractor. If you are having trouble with this process, you can contact the Insurance Department at 1-800-259-5300 for assistance.
  • Minimize your losses and document the damage. Take photos of any damage, then make any reasonable temporary repairs needed and keep your receipts for those repairs. The US Army Corps of Engineers has now begun its Operation Blue Roof program in 13 parishes badly hit by the storm and can tarp your house for free.
  • Keep in mind that flooding is generally not covered by standard homeowner and tenant insurance policies. Flood insurance is a separate policy from the FEMA National Flood Insurance Program and some private insurers. If the wind or a falling tree has damaged your home and let in rain, this is usually covered by home insurance. Rising water levels – floods – are covered by flood insurance. Talk to your agent to find out which insurance policy can cover your losses.
  • Keep your receipts. If you can’t stay in your home due to storm damage, keep your receipts for accommodation, food, and essentials. Your policy may cover some of the costs during your temporary move.
  • Ask all agents, adjusters or contractors for identification. Do not sign any repair contracts until you have received instruction from your adjuster and verified the license, insurance and reputation of any contractor you wish to hire.

The Insurance Department can be contacted at 1-800-259-5300 for those who need help finding their insurer’s contact information or have questions about the claims process.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.